Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's Been A Soupy Kind of Week

I love soup. Especially with some sort of bread on the side. I love to dip the bread in the soup or eat the soup over the bread. Today, I made 2 different soups. A split pea and a lentil.

The split pea is actually an Ina Garten recipe that I've made several times and LOVE. It freezes well and is super easy to make. I like to add extra potatoes and I use water instead of chicken broth. 


I TRY to cook healthy and try to do as much plant based stuff as I can...it's hard, cheese is good. 

Lentils are an excellent choice for meat eaters and vegetarians alike. Lentils are so good for you, they are full of protein, low in fat, CHEAP and super easy to cook. I always kind of forget about them because every recipe I see that uses them usually calls for cumin, turmeric or coriander and I am not a fan. 

The soup I made tonight is super simple, filling, and only takes around 40 minutes including prep. I know it's not 'pretty', but it's very yummy!



Quick Lentil Soup

1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup split red or brown lentils
4 cups water
1 carrot, sliced or diced
1 celery stalk, sliced
lemon juice to taste
salt and black pepper


Heat the onion and olive oil and saute until the onion begins to soften. Add the lentils, carrots, celery and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes until lentils and veggies are tender. Season to taste. 

Serve hot with fresh lemon juice. 

Hope you like it as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment