Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Minnie's Cowboy Camper Skillet Dinner

Florida in December makes it a little hard to get into the Christmas Spirit. It's hot. Our tree isn't even up yet. I am having a super unmotivated year, I need to snap out of this funk....

The tree will go up this weekend and I will start wrapping presents, no waiting until 2 days before Christmas this year.

Cooper is really excited about Christmas this year and keeps asking me when Christmas is. He was even excited to see Santa this year, no tears!!


WELL...hopefully it starts cooling off soon. I know I have no room to whine when most of the North is currently covered in ice and snow.


Today's recipe is another one brought to you by my mother in law. Along with Anamosa Squash and Creamy Chicken and Noodles(which is ALWAYS my top pinned and viewed post). This recipe is something her mother used to cook on the farm. They ate a lot of potatoes, mainly plain but sometimes with kale and sometimes in this casserole below. We were trying to figure out what to cook this week and this sprang to her mind. I made it last night and it was SO GOOD. Very basic, very easy and very filling. Also...super cheap!

I used red potatoes because it was what I had on hand, but you could use any potato you want. Also, her mother used to use canned pork and beans, I used vegetarian. I also added the fried onions, they were not in the original 1940's version.




Minnie's Cowboy Camper Skillet Dinner

1 1/2 - 2 pounds potatoes, any kind. Peel and cube or leave skins on if using red. 
1 medium onion, diced
1 large can baked beans, vegetarian or pork and beans
1 cup ketchup
A couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce
Fried onions for garnish (optional)


Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, drain. 

Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil in a large skillet and cook onion until just starting to get tender. Add cubed potatoes and continue cooking until potatoes start to brown and crisp a bit. 

Mix in ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. 

Poor over beans and heat through!

Garnish with fried onions, if desired. Serve hot!


Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment