Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spicy Lentil Soup with Veggies

When Kevin and I lived in Tampa, we liked to eat at this pita place called Byblo's. Kevin always gets a gyro at places like this and I vary, usually try new things each visit. I didn't at Byblo's...once I tried the falafel and spicy lentil soup....I was HOOKED. We moved to the other side of Tampa and often talked about going back for lunch, but we never did. Sigh. That was 5 years ago and I STILL MISS THAT SOUP. It has been so long since I had it, I couldn't really even remember the exact taste or try to recall what ingredients could have been used, but I still crave it.

I was browsing my copy of How To Cook Everything a few days ago and came across a recipe for Spicy Lentil Soup. I decided to give it a try to see if it came close, it didn't, but was still good! I have since figured out the soup is actually split red lentil soup, I plan on trying out a few recipes now hoping to recreate it!

Below is the recipe of the spicy lentil I made the other night.

Enjoy!






Spicy Lentil Soup with Veggies

2 cups lentils, washed and picked over
Pinch of dried thyme
2 carrots, peeled and cubed (or couple hand full of baby carrots...it's all I had)
2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
12 cups chicken broth (I used the vegetarian chicken broth)
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can diced tomatoes in their liquid
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Bring broth, lentils, carrots, celery and thyme to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer until all is tender, about 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally. 

Meanwhile, heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a skillet and saute onions until tender. Add garlic, saute 1 minute more, and remove from heat. 

When lentils are tender, add tomatoes, parsley, ginger, cayenne, cumin, onions and garlic to lentils. Simmer a few minutes more before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 


Dig in!




No comments:

Post a Comment