Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Creamy Onion Soup

Kevin and I had a 'hot date' date on Saturday for lunch...we went to Outback. I know, we are way too fancy.

I had the soup and salad....creamy onion soup was the soup of the day and WOW was it good. I didn't think to ask if it had chicken or beef broth in it, but later when I came home and did a copy cat recipe search, most of them called for beef bouillon. Whoops....

WELL...I combined and altered several recipes to come up with this combo below. It was DELICIOUS, like, no leftovers delicious....



Creamy Onion Soup

8 cups chicken broth (I used the vegetarian version)
3 medium white onions
Salt and Pepper to taste
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cup shredded Mexican Fiesta style cheese (Or a blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack)

Bring broth in a large soup pot to a boil. Quarter and slice onions thinly. Add to the broth along with salt and pepper, return to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. 

While stirring, sift flour over soup and stir while adding. Stir out any lumps and continue to simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Add cream and cheese, stir and simmer 10 more minutes to heat through. 

Serve it up hot and dig in!!


No comments:

Post a Comment