Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Old Fashioned Chicken Stew With Dumplings

Finally warming up...a bit. It's got me in an un-motivated funk. Come on warm weather!

Coop and I did spend some time outside yesterday, checked on our little tomato plant that I was sure was dead. It's been pretty neglected for 2 weeks now. BUT...we were surprised, 3 little tomatoes are growing!!





I am always behind on the starting seedlings timeline...I was supposed to start veggies last month, but I started sunflowers and morning glorys...

SO we will see how they do when I plant seeds this weekend. Florida is a funny climate, you never know. 

Anyway...on to today's recipe. Last night we had a yummy crock pot/slow cooker...whatever you call it in your house...meal. It was adapted from a Taste of Home magazine submission. 



Old Fashioned Chicken Stew with Dumplings (Who doesn't like a dumpling?)

1 pound to 1 1/2 pound cut up raw chicken (I used tenderloins)
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch hunks
2 large carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 teaspoon salt (I actually ended up using more because I used low sodium chicken broth)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Pinch of ground thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
32 ounces chicken broth
1/3 cup cold water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels 
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup bisquick
1/3 cup milk

Put chicken, onion, potato, carrots, celery, salt, poultry seasoning, thyme, pepper and chicken broth in crock pot. Cook on low 5 to 7 hours, until veggies are tender and chicken is no longer raw. Add peas and corn to crock pot. Mix cold water and corn starch and add to crock pot. Stir. Let it simmer 20 to 30 minutes to thicken slightly. Mix bisquick and milk to form a soft dough. Drop by tablespoon full into broth. Simmer 30 minutes more, until toothpick (or steak knife in my case) inserted into dumpling comes out clean. 

Dig in!






No comments:

Post a Comment