Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Rainy Day 3-Bean Chicken Slow Cooker Chili

We woke up to a rainy day. Cool and rainy. Perfect chili weather. We have very few chili weather days left, so I thought we would take advantage.

This turned out WAY better then I thought it would. I figure it would be good, but it was fantastic. I look forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow...

Normally, when you see non-ground chicken in chili, it's a white or green chili. I thought I would try something different and try it in a tomato based chili.

And another fun thing I tried was adding refried beans along with the other beans to the sauce. This thickened it...and made it more filling...so this pot of chili will last us for days...

I normally serve chili over cornbread, but with the still broken oven...that was out. Or I do corn chips on top. Out of those. But, you can try them at get back to me. We topped ours with a little cheese and sour cream...yum.

I do recommend a larger crock for this...I used my 5 quart and it JUST fit...


Anyway..here ya go...




Rainy Day 3-Bean Chicken Chili in the Slow Cooker

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken...I used breasts but thighs would work well too
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1 pack 1.25 ounce chili mix
29 ounces total canned tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes with green peppers, onions and celery
1 16-oz can refried beans
1 16-oz can black beans, undrained
1 16-oz can pinto beans, undrained
1 16-oz can chili beans sauce, undrained

Dice up chicken and place into bottom of crock.

Meanwhile, saute onion in oil until just softened. Add to crock. 

Add rest of ingredients, stir to combine. 

Cook on high for 1 to 2 hours (until it's really simmering) an reduce to low for 4 to 5 more. Until chicken is cooked. 

Dig in!!


No comments:

Post a Comment